Wednesday, August 3, 2011

OK dog lovers, help this non-dog person pick a breed?

I generally dislike dogs as pets - but that's mostly because my family insists on little yip dogs that bear no resemblance whatsoever to their wolf ancestors. So, I may want to get a dog for my kids - and tiny, mindless yapping things are out of the question. What I need is something medium-sized, smart, tolerant of kids and cats, obedient (I know, this is up to me, but some breeds are better than others), quiet - or at least not prone by breed to bark incessantly or with a high pitch that makes you want go insane, and preferably handsome in wolfish manner (but not absolutely necessary if it has all the other things). Not a big shedder would be good too. Does such a beast exist? Should I just stick with cats and tell the kids they can have a pet turtle instead? I'd prefer to get something from a shelter and rescue an animal in need - but I realize that may not be possible if I want this mythological ideal breed. I hear Blue Heelers are cool. Anyone got a suggestion for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment